Monday, February 18, 2013

Freebies and Cheapies

Yesterday was a very cost-efficient day!
 
First I picked up this bookcase, which was a Craigslist find for $15.  I'm going to paint it white to make it look more cottage than rustic.

 
 
On my way back from buying the bookcase I stopped at one of my favorite Goodwill haunts and found these marked, 1962 Syroco sconces for $2.96 each.


 
 
I also found this pre-WWII marked vase for 96 cents, and the faux pansies behind it for for $1.96.

 




Plus these two ivy topiaries for $4.96 each.  They both had brown bases, but I'm going to paint the bases white, and I've already started on one.

 
 
Then I went to my friend's house.  She's a graphic artist, and is helping me clean up my logo for Mr. P's Emporium, and add a new element to my tags and collateral.  Although I keep saying I want to pay her, she's insisting on doing it for free.  So I'll have to come up with a really nice gift for her!
 
I must have had "free" vibes floating around me, because as I was leaving her place, I saw that her neighbor down the road had put out this dresser and night stand on the street.

 


 
Free!
 
It's big, well-made out of pecan, and I can attest to the fact that the sucker is heavy!  Luckily it has wheels and we were able to roll it to her house, and my son was home for the weekend, so I was able to bring him back with me to load it into my SUV.
 
It was meant to be!
 
I forgot to put it in for the photo, but the night stand has a really cute scalloped shelf. The only thing wrong with the set is one of the drawer pulls on the dresser is broken.
 
Didn't its former owners know people would have paid for it if they listed it on Craigslist?
 
But I'm not complaining!

I haven't decided what I'm going to do to the set refreshing-wise yet, but I'll come up with something. 
 
This week I have to focus on painting so I can move all the furniture I've been accumulating to Mr. P's new space on the 1st.  Then I'll have room to accumulate more to paint for Lucketts!
 
Whatever you have planned, I hope you have a great week!
 

6 comments:

  1. I love the shelf you picked up from Craiglist. I have a smilar one that I love and I found mine at Goodwill.

    Smiles,
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dresser and night stand was a real
    find.. wow!
    Your a woman of my own heart!
    Looks like you had a very productive
    day. Can't wait to see what you do
    with the pieces!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, you always find the best things! Amazing! I can't wait to see the shelf when you are done. It's going to be so cute! The potted plants will be great when both are white too! Love it! Score!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to go shopping with you. Great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome scores!! and a freebie furniture to boot great haul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you did find some wonderful items! I'll look forward to seeing the transformations.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thank-you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to write a note. Please make sure your email is on your profile if you would like a reply.

-Deborah