Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Frenchie Dresser Makeover

Oo la la.  I loved this little dresser as soon as I saw it at a yard sale.




The size is so versatile--you can use it as a dresser, a bedside table, a console in the entry or living room, or even in a bathroom.

Once I was done with it, I knew that it would be similar size and style-wise to these chests from Wisteria, ranging (on sale) from $800 to over $1000.



 
 


The issue with these 60's to 70's French Provincial pieces is they have laminate tops, and sometimes drawer fronts.  If you've ever tried it, you know that painting over laminate is a pain in the old patooti.  It involves a really good primer.

Chalk paint to the rescue!




I decided to use ASCP in Paris Grey.

After painting, I went over it with Briwax in Golden Oak.  I love this wax over Paris Grey.


 
 

I wet scrubbed a couple of areas so the original finish came through.  I liked the cream against the grey, giving it a worn, aged look.





Then I finished the entire piece with ASCP clear wax and put back the original hardware.





I'm really happy with the end result--what do you think?

Before:




After:



It will be going to Mr. P's Emporium soon--I'll be pricing it waaaay less than the Wisteria Chests!


Sharing at:

Elizabeth & Co: Be Inspired
A Stroll Thru Life: Inspire Me Tuesday
The Dedicated House: Make it Pretty Monday
Green Willow Pond: What We Accomplished Wednesday
No Minimalist Here: Open House
Savvy Southern Style: Wow us Wednesday
French Country Style: Feathered Nest Friday
Redoux Interiors: Link Party
Miss Mustard Seed: Furniture Feature Friday
Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tuesday


12 comments:

  1. Really nice, Deborah! So much better than it was originally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous! such a difference and looks so much more quality now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! You totally erased the 1960's french style and bought it to a place of timeless beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the sixties we bought the whole bedroom set for our daughter . . . who ever thought it could be brought into this century. Lovely job, Deborah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all it's beautiful! Secondly have you ever tried to sand off the white top on these types of pieces? I have, it's not laminate, it's just a really think shiny paint like surface. I've done it at least 4 times. Just start with 80-100 grit paper and you'll see. The tops have always looked gorgeous when I removed the surface paint... It's just a thought, but I wanted you to know it can be sanded off... Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely found a treasure. Such a fabulous size. I love it, and you did a great job on refinishing it. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its SO beautiful! I have 2 pieces I've been wanting to do a gray wash type of finish to! Wow you have inspired me to do it... Love your blog, I too am a Craigslist fanatic! I'd love for you to stop by my blog sometime!
    Michelle/NewEngland-Style.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you get rid of that old smell in the furniture?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful job, Deborah! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features tomorrow at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House! Pop on in and grab a feature button for your blog. Hope to see your prettiness again tomorrow at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! It really looks like a french antique now. Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughters had that bedroom set!!!
    It turned out gorgeous !!!!!!!!!!!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thank-you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to write a note. Please make sure your email is on your profile if you would like a reply.

-Deborah