I'm all about making things easier, and I just found a couple of products that are going to do just that.
I found this little table at a thrift shop, I think. It's been sitting in my "to do" stash for awhile now. We won't mention how long, or the fact that half of our garage is still filled with "to do's!"
I loved its lines and the applique detail, but it obviously needed some love.
One of the reasons I appreciate finding things to make painting easier is I always seem to run into complications. I've had some bad painting mojo recently.
On this piece, I wanted to paint it in ASCP Old White. But as you can see, I had some major bleed-through. So out came the shellac.
After the shellac I gave it another couple of coats of Old White and that took care of it. After a light distressing it was done.
Now on to my new finds.
My first new item made clean-up much easier. It's this Wooster brush cleaner. No more picking at paint with my fingernails! This baby gets down deep into the bristles and really cleans the brush.
My second new find is Shabby Paints Vax. I have never been a fan of waxing so I was excited to try this product. I've been looking for a good topcoat for awhile now. Especially one that won't yellow on white. This stuff is great!
You dilute it, and put it on with a wet sponge or a rag (I used a craft sponge). It goes on easily and best of all, no buffing! I used Sheer, but it also comes in a variety of finishes. I bought some in Pearl, which I'm looking forward to trying.
I also bought some Shabby Paints paint in a couple of cool colors. I haven't decided what to use them on yet, but like I said I've got plenty of options in the garage!
I love the way this sweet little table turned out! It will be going to Mr. P's soon.
(I'm not affiliated in any way with these products -- just wanted to share a couple things that may make your projects simpler too!)
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
Monday, August 4, 2014
Hey there! It's been awhile. Today I thought I'd show you the latest piece I've added to Mr. P's Emporium.
I got this dresser on Craigslist, and like the space cadet I am, I didn't get a "before" shot. Picture it your basic brown wood with a scratched-up top. Got that in your head? Great. Here it is now.
It may look innocent, but this baby gave me a world of trouble. All my own doing, of course, but still.
After sanding the top, I painted it in the sun, on a hot and humid day. Which thickened the paint, creating blobs and bubbles. Do not try this at home, boys and girls. It was a mess. So I had to sand all that off the top and paint it again. (I'd painted the sides and drawers previously and luckily they were alright.)
Then I tried a new topcoat (General Finishes in Satin). I applied it with a sponge brush, and each stroke from the brush showed when it was dry. I've heard good things about this product, so I have no idea what I did wrong. So ... yep ... I sanded it down again. Then I painted it again. I ended up finishing it with two coats of American Paint Company clear wax.
For a simple little dresser, it took me forever! But it's finally done, painted in ASCP Paris Gray, and distressed. I delivered it to the booth today.
And here's how Mr. P's is looking now.
If you're in the area, come by and see us! We're located in the Home Store, 9720 Liberia Avenue, in Manassas, VA.