Monday, May 7, 2012

An Aha Moment!

Hope you all had a good weekend!


Today I had an "aha" moment.  I finally figured out why I can't get everything done I plan to during the day. It was an epiphany!!

It dawned on me when I realized it takes me two-and-a-half hours to put away groceries.  I had always thought it only took about 15 minutes!  Silly me.  Now seriously, how can I be expected to manage my time when my perception of how long it takes to do things is so off? 

I know what you're thinking:  How could it possibly take over two hours to put away groceries? Well, I'll tell you.

I brought the groceries into the house around 3:30 pm. Included in the groceries were some frozen entrees and fruit.  When I went to put those items away, I discovered there was no room for them. I hadn't cleaned out the freezer since ... well let's just say it's been awhile.  So I decided this was the ideal time. Once it was cleared out, of course it was the opportune time to clean the shelves. 

Since I was cleaning the freezer shelves, it just made sense to clear out the refrigerator and clean those shelves too.  Turns out there were a lot of jars hiding in the back of the shelves that needed to be thrown out. Things like almost empty jam and pickles, and roasted red peppers packed in olive oil.  You know when you only need a few roasted peppers for a recipe, but you have to buy that big jar?  You keep the jar in the fridge, sure that you will use them for something else, and besides,they last forever.  Turns out I don't use roasted red peppers as often as I probably could--maybe because they're pushed way back in the corner and I forget they are there.  And guess what? They don't actually last forever

After clearing out the refrigerator and freezer, I had a big bag of garbage, so I took it out to the garbage bin which is in the garage.  While I was out in the garage, I decided to look around to see if I could find a box the right size for the care package I'm putting together for my son. I didn't find one, but I did find some tools that needed to be put away. I put those away, and decided that since I was out there, I might as well put the second coat of stain on the top of a dresser I'm working on. 

Right as I was about to go back inside, our neighbor's dog came running down the driveway.  That meant she had broken through her electric fence again. So I grabbed one of the dog leashes by the door, gave her a few belly rubs, then took her back home.  On my way back home I noticed some weeds growing along the driveway, and I stopped to pull a few up.

I made it back to the kitchen and saw that I still had to put away the grocery items that go in the pantry.  I finished that up, looked at the clock--and it said 6 pm.

Two-and-a-half hours to put away groceries!  This explains everything!



Google Images/EverydayPeopleCartoons.com


Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you and I live parallel lives. My goal is to start AND finish a project, any project, without other responsibilities/commitments creeping in and causing this sort of chaos. As your story proves, things EVENTUALLY get done, but we are too worn out by that point to notice or care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Sometimes I have to resort to repeating to myself, "I am cleaning the closet, I am cleaning the closet," or I'll find myself doing other things just like you described!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At grocery unpacking, this isn't my problem - but at dinner time, I find the strangest things in the fridge, cabinets or on counter tops! Sames as you, just a different time!! My Sweetie always asks, 'Does it really have to be done now?' 'Well yes, if I had a schedule for everything, it would never need doing! When I see it, I do it!'

    One of the things that gets the baggers at the market is I bag my own groceries. First, I have an inside pantry, outside pantry, inside freezer, outside freezer, and I don't want stuff for the refrigerator packed with the detergent, or the soap packed with the ice cream. I also don't want the watermelon packed on top of the eggs (true story) or the tomatoes and bananas dropped in the bag - actually dropped so he could use two hands and get done faster. This way if something get's home broken, I have to look in the mirror and scold - me. Haven't had to yet!

    But, totally know what you mean - the days slip away. I need to start putting my crafts in the wrong places!! That's it - then I'll just HAVE to work on them! You're great, Deborah!!!

    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like something I do all the time! I can into a room to put something away or to get something and before you know it, I've started a project in there. Could go on & on! :-)

    You are probably aware of this, but just in case you're not, you can get the flat rate boxes free at the post office. You can even order them online and have them shipped to you.

    Have a wonderful week!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh.....such is my life!!!!!

    I really related to this post. I no longer feel alone ;->

    janet xox
    The Empty Nest

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thank-you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to write a note. Please make sure your email is on your profile if you would like a reply.

-Deborah