I was recently awarded the Versatile Blogger Award from two readers: Shari at TurnStyle Vogue, and Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage.
I'm not exactly sure what a "versatile blogger" is, but the award is meant to highlight blogs to increase awareness and readership. I truly appreciate anybody who takes the time to read my blog, so a sincere thank-you to Shari and Shannon.
The rules of this award are:
1. Thank and link back to the person who gave the award to you.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Award it to 15 other bloggers.
So ... here we go!
1. I was born in Honolulu. My grandmother first went there in the early 1900's to teach school, then went back with my grandfather around 1923. My grandmother, whom unfortunately I never knew, was a pretty amazing and aventurous woman, originally from Georgia. Beside traveling to Hawaii as a single woman to teach (and it wasn't easy getting to the Islands back then!), she also taught in Alaska (again not an easy trek), where she met my grandfather. My mom had all sorts of great stories she told me about her.
2. I tend to digress ... alot (see #1).
3. I'm passionate about animal welfare and rescue, and volunteer with a couple of animal rescue organizations. We have three rescue kitties and three rescue dogs at home. Proceeds from Mr. P's Emporium go to a local rescue organization.
4. I believe everything happens for a reason.
5. Between career-focus and bad choices in relationships, I didn't get married until I was 42. Now I'm grateful for those bad choices because they taught me a lot, and without them I wouldn't have been in the place I was (mentally and physically) to meet my husband. (See # 4.) When we married I also received an instant family -- two stepsons who lived with us and who I couldn't love more if they were my birth children. We recently celebrated our 11th anniversary.
6. I got my shopaholic gene from my mother, who even though she was a single mom without a lot of extra cash, had great taste and a good eye. She started me on antique shops as a child. She also was a DIY-er, and a shoe horder extraordinaire.
7. I've had a secret dream of being a back-up R & B singer since I was a kid. So if anyone out there is looking for a 50-something singer with no professional training and a just-passable voice -- I'm your gal!
I Award this Award To:
First to my friend Amelia, who is one of the best cooks I know, and who just started her blog: 1inAmelianCooks. She's only done a couple of blogs, so please stop by and encourage her! Next is Rosemary at VillaBarnes who I "met" through comments on each other blogs. Now this woman is truly versatile! She's really just amazingly talented. If you haven't already, you need to check out her blog. Third is Kelly at Stylish Patina who encouraged me to start a blog, and who is just going gangbusters in her new businesses.
Here are some new blogs (some even newer than me!) who've either recently visited me and left a comment, or I've recently found via other blogs. These are all very talented ladies!
A Fabuless Home
Retired & Loving It
Chicadee Home Nest
Cottage & Broome
The Turquoise Piano
These next blogs are "blogging pros" who are so kind and supportive to new bloggers I just wanted to recognize them! They've probably already won any "award" out there in blogland so I really don't expect them to take the time to do the whole 7 things and 15 bloggers deal. But if by any remote chance you haven't already found them, check them out:
Primitive & Proper (the first diy/decorating blog I started reading!)
Type A Decorating
DebbieDoo's Blogging & Blabbing
My Repurposed Life
Thanks again Shari & Shannon!