Monday, January 16, 2012

I'm Just (Craigslist) Browsing

For someone whose blog title is "Confessions of a Craigslist Junkie," you may have noticed I haven't talked about any new Craigslist finds for awhile.  That's because my garage and basement are full of furniture waiting to be painted, and I promised myself I wouldn't even go looking for any more deals until I finished working on the projects I already have.

But this weekend prior to my basement clean-up marathon, I was looking on CL to see if I could find some metal shelves to add to the workspace area.  And while I was there, I couldn't resist checking to see what kind of furniture bargains were listed.  So since I'm being good ... well, trying to be good--I do have an email in for a little console, but it's the style of thing I love to paint, and it's just too good of a deal to pass up!  Um ...  so since I'm being semi-good and not buying anything (else), I thought I'd just show you some of the things I found with a quick browse.

These two campaign style chests were hard for me to pass up. Two of them for twenty bucks -- just $10 each!


Keep them together and paint the drawers bright alternating colors like this and they'd be great in a kids room.




Or a paint them a snazzy blue and use them in an office, or as bedside tables.



This little ottoman is only $10. 


Granted, it needs a little love, but a paint job on the legs and a slipcover like this would give it a totally new look:



Grab some burlap and upholstery tacks ...


Or, splurge on some great fabric.  Since it only cost $10, why not?



I love this antique bed.  It's listed for $50.  Look at the spindle detailing.


I think this would be adorable painted a bright color for a little boy or girl's room.






And speaking of a little girl's room, this dresser would be perfect, and you wouldn't need to do a thing to it. Just $50.




This desk from the 1920's would be fun in a kid's room, or anywhere in the house. At $100, it's already painted for you--in one of the Pantone color trend picks of spring 2012--tangerine!




Speaking of color, these chairs will add a pop.  They are vintage Thornet (marked) bentwood chairs.  The set of 4 is $120.


You could go for the reverse look of this dining set:




This leather settee looks like there may be some issues with the leather on the seat cushion, and there may be a dent or something on the arm.  But look at those lines.  Look at those legs. Look at this price: $25! Even if you have to reupholster the whole piece,  you still can't beat $25.



And lastly, look at these two beautiful pieces:




Bow front china cabinet with lighted interior and matching buffet.  Looks like cherry or mahogany wood with very cool silver hardware.  I think this set is gorgeous, and could work with a variety of decor styles, from traditional to Hollywood Regency, to even contemporary with the right mix of other pieces. You'd be paying in the thousands if you were buying this retail.  Listed on Craigslist for $300 for the set!

I'm telling you, there's a reason I'm a Craigslist Junkie! 

FYI: These were all listed in the Washington DC edition of Craigslist if anyone is in the area and interested in anything.




Sharing at: Type A Decorating Anything Goes

5 comments:

  1. You would be a very dangerous friend for me! I already drag home a ton in my Matrix but with a truck, and a friend like you, the possibilities would be... divorce. Yep, I think my husband would finally give up! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last two items you showed to us - I wish they were close to me! They'd be in my dining room right now!! I'm looking for something just like this!

    Great finds, and it's true - so many people think it's just junk, and it's not! I love going out finding those treasures, but I also love looking online, where I can shop in my jammies and not in 20 degree weather! Some things are ready to put in the house, and some need a bit of TLC first. Either way, there are some great finds on Craig's List!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sitting in the comfort of home, 'window' shopping on CL is totally addictive! That's one of the reasons why my basement and garage are in the state they're in. I'm working on the same restriction you are ... nothing new in until I make some serious headway with the things I already have. Spent all day yesterday painting, and listening to football. I'm beginning to see some space in the basement!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Craigslist! I've found so many great items, all from home. I browse every morning trying to find the best pieces of furnture for a great price. I really like walking around the house looking at all the "lovelies" I have found! It's such a thrill to score a great deal and I love seeing what other gals find too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't find anything good on our local list. I keep looking...hoping.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thank-you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to write a note. Please make sure your email is on your profile if you would like a reply.

-Deborah