Monday, July 25, 2011

From Drab to Fab

I bought this console on Craigslist for $40.  It needed some love.



The poor thing was stuck in the ‘70s – not a good style decade in my opinion. 



Outdated hardware.  An ugly finish.  But it was well made and a good size, so I decided to refresh it and use it in my dining room redo.



I planned on replacing all the hardware, but the plates behind the door pulls were nailed and glued on.  I couldn’t figure out how to take them off without creating a bigger project than I wanted to undertake.  So I decided to incorporate them.

First I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White for the body.  For the insets I started out with AS Chalk Paint in Louis Blue, but it looked a bit too baby blue.  So I used the AS dark wax to try to tone it down.  It still didn’t work for me, so I followed that with a glaze of Old White.
  


I sanded it to distress it a bit.



I love the painted plates behind the new pulls.



I was going for a bit of an old world French Country look, kind of like this cabinet from Wisteria ($999), one of my favorite stores.

Wisteria

Not quite as fancy as this one from Horchow ($1399), but with the same elegant feel.

Horchow


And voila!


Forty bucks and just a few hours of labor! (No priming or sanding needed with Chalk Paint.)


4 comments:

  1. it looks lovely, deborah! the colors are gorgeous as are the new knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome to blogging!

    Wow, you'd never know it was the same piece! It's lovely.

    I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! After hearing about all of the successes with ASCP I'm gonna have to try it...esp since no sanding, priming and THESE such lovely results!

    Visiting from Miss Mustand Seed's Linky Party Tonight, from NW Illinois.

    Smiles, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thank-you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to write a note. Please make sure your email is on your profile if you would like a reply.

-Deborah