Monday, December 9, 2013

Statement Chair

I'm in the process of decorating the house for the holidays, which I'll show you soon.  In the meantime, I was asked by One King's Lane to do a post on a "statement" chair. 

I knew immediately which one I would feature.  This chair sits in my living room and best embodies the style I love.



It's a Miss Mustard Seed chair I bought at Lucketts a few years back.  She painted it in Paris Grey and recovered it with a drop cloth.  The simplicity of the drop cloth combined with the carved and fairly ornate detailing is what makes my heart go pitter pat. 



Yet while I knew the chair had the French look I gravitate toward, I really didn't know much about the style.  One King's Lane has an online Home Décor Resource Guide to help people like me define the style of their furniture,  so I checked it out.



Turns out my chair is based on the Neo-classical style, circa 1765-1790.  Around that time there was a renaissance of the clean lines and design of Greece and Rome. (Of course it is a reproduction and not originally from the 18th century! It's just based on that style.)

You can define this style of furniture by the straight, tapered legs.



Fluted legs and arms to imitate columns.



A round or square upholstered back.



And delicate carving and molding with emphasis on geometry and symmetry.



So now I can proudly say that not only is my chair a Miss Mustard Seed "original,"  it's based on the Neo-Classical design popular during Louis XVI's reign.



And that's quite a statement!


Sharing at:

I Should be Mopping the Floor: Inspiration Monday
Elizabeth & Co.: Be Inspired


2 comments:

  1. love the colors of your chair. MMS did a fantastic job of distressing it, and it fits so well in your room with your other furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great chair, fun style. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thank-you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to write a note. Please make sure your email is on your profile if you would like a reply.

-Deborah