Friday, January 4, 2013

New Mantel Decor for the New Year

I used to have a superstition that all of the holiday decorations had to come down by January 1st.  However, I decided last year that this was just something my mother made up.  You can read all about my various neurosis superstitions and research here.
 
Now I take the much more scientific approach. I read that legend says all decorations must come down no later than the 12th day of Christmas, which is tomorrow, or it is bad luck. 

But I also read that tradition says if you take down your decorations before the 12th day of Christmas it is bad luck. 
 
Whaaa???
 
So I hedged my bets.  I took down all of the inside decorations today except for the tree.  Tomorrow I'll take down the outside decorations.  I figured since even though I started the job before the 12th day, I won't be finishing it  before it, but I also won't be finishing it past it since I'll wrap things up tomorrow before days-end.  And besides the tree still being up, I haven't put away the storage boxes today--so technically the inside decorations aren't officially taken down!

Yes, I actually think about these things!  I know ... I need help! :-) But hey -- I need all the good luck I can get!
 
Anyway ... tear-down wasn't too hard this year. I kept things very simple because we were going out of town for the holidays.  But today I was left with this.


 
 
An empty mantel.  A blank slate!
 
I decided I wanted to go with a cream, white  and turquoise/sea green theme for now.  Greens and blues are a big design trend for 2013.  Lucky for me those are the colors I typically use in my decor!

I started with a couple of faux boxwood topiaries.




Then I brought back some of my vintage cream pottery.


 
 
Added a couple of turquoise candle pillars ...


 
 
Some old glass fishing lures and a couple of vintage glass insulators ...




Dried money plant ...


 
 
And some candles in silver candle holders I just picked up at Goodwill for 50 cents each.  (Everything else I've had for a while, so this was a very economical mantel!)


 
 
Down below I added another turquoise candle holder to my white candles.


 
 
I decided more is more for this mantel.
 
 

 
 
I like the way the pop of color adds some fun to the mantel and will hopefully brighten the cold winter days ahead. 

And it inspired me to bring in a rug from another room to tie into the colors.  That's what I love about decorating with a neutral base!
 
 
 
How about you?  Have you done any new year's decorating?


Happy 12th Day of Christmas!


Update:  After all that careful planning I discovered I should have looked at the calendar more carefully!  The 12th day of Christmas is January 6th, which is Sunday. I thought it was Saturday. So I have a whole extra day!  This superstitious stuff is hard work to keep track of!

Sharing at:

French Country Cottage: Feathered Nest Friday
Common Ground: Be Inspired Friday
My Romantic Home: Show & Tell Friday
Redoux: Link Party
Funky Junk Interiors: Saturday Night Special
No Minimalist Here: Open House Party
Adorned from Above: Week in Review
The Rosegarden in Malevik: Saturday Night Show Off
 


11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous with the pops of turquoise! So pretty and fresh!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! I took advantage of a warm day and packed up the outside. Today before I read your post I packed away the inside except for the tree. I wanted to enjoy the lights just one more night. What’s the saying? If it wasn’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all. Sure glad that was adverted. Now I’m looking at bare, uncluttered ~ not my style at all. Like Scarlett, I’ll think about it tomorrow. Yours looks wonderful. Definitely in winter, more is more. Happy weekend, Deborah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it!

    Decorating? None at all. Christmas is still up and in full swing, and I'm desperately trying to keep ahead of the contractor who is working to fulfill my dream of walk-in closets in our bedroom ... he's making good progress, but the dust is awful. Maybe I can think about removing Christmas and freshening the decor after he finishes and my house is clean again. I have a couple of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the colors- so pretty! and i love the silver dollars! i used some on my fall mantle and they are just so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I relly LIKE IT :)
    and do not miss......

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  6. January 6 is Three Kings Day in Latin countries. Love the turquoise colors -- my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for visiting me! I know following along here now too! Your mantle looks so pretty! Bits of white and turquoise are perfect this time of the year!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of the whites and blues. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Wednesday through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/week-in-review-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! You've made me want to put up a mantel even though I have a wood stove. Love that big mirror, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colors you used for your winter mantel which flows so well with the rest of the room. Good call on the rug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To those of you who didn't get a personal reply back because you're a no reply commenter, thanks so much for visiting and for your nice comments!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thank-you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to write a note. Please make sure your email is on your profile if you would like a reply.

-Deborah