Monday, October 3, 2011

Have a Seat

If you looked in my garage right now you would think I have a chair fetish.  I have the six chairs that are going to go with my dining room table when its done (still working on it!), plus two additional sets of six chairs, and two occasional chairs.  Hmmmm.... maybe I do have a chair fetish!  Anyway, I found this chair on -- where else -- Craigslist. I bought it for just $10!


I love the fan detail and the scrolls on the arms. 



It was actually in good shape, but I just wanted to update it a bit. So I painted it black.



I recovered the seat first in a light cotton, then I covered that with burlap.  It still looked a bit blah to me though, so I did a couple of stencils on it.



This was the first time I've tried stencils on fabric, but it was quite easy.
 


I have a matching chair, so now I'm trying to decide if I should do a matching one, or sell this one as a one-of-a-kind. What do you think?

Sharing at:
Thrifty Decor Chick
Coastal Charm
Primitive & Proper
Type A
Savvy Southern Style
No Minimalist Here

9 comments:

  1. I love the stencil! It adds so much to character to the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it, deborah! i love the shape of that chair... great find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I would do the other one and keep them both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job!! The black works so well on this shape chair, good choice!
    I'm a chair girl too and paint my fabric a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a cool makeover Deborah. I like the addition of the stencil. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank-you all for your nice comments. I'm glad I tried the stencils!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found you on Villabarnes. I like how the stencil picks up the black. You have a tough decision to make, why don't you start on your next chair and then decide whether to keep or sell both chairs. That's the problem with being a DIYer we fall in love with our "creations". I'm your newest follower, I would love for you to drop by one day. http://decoratingwcents.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love how you covered that chair up!! Great job!!

    -Tanya
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deborah....this chair looks perfect. Love that you added the stencil. I did the same on a bench too that needed just a little extra something. I have a couple of chairs hanging in my garage and you have inspired!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thank-you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to write a note. Please make sure your email is on your profile if you would like a reply.

-Deborah